On barrier reef between Chukchi and Kivalina Lagoon, 43 mi NW of Noatak and 47 mi NW of Cape Krusenstern, Kotzebue-Kobuk Low.
Eskimo village originally located at the north end of the lagoon. Reported in 1847 by Lieutenant L.A. Zagoskin, Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), who gave its name as "Kivualinagmut". The village population was 87 in 1920, 99 in 1930, 98 in 1939, and 117 in 1950. The post office was established in 1940.