population 261, on right bank of Yukon River, 35 mi. E of Nulato, Koyukuk Low.
Established about 1919 as a supply point for the galena (lead ore) prospects south of the Yukon River. Its population was 67 in 1930; 44 in 1940; and 76 in 1950. The village is now predominately Indian. With the construction of a major airfield and the consequent employment, the population has increased. Galena post office was established in 1932 (Ricks, 1965, p. 22). Site of a former Indian village recorded on the 1880 Census map as "Natulaten," by Ivan Petroff, 1884 who also recorded Lieutenant L. A. Zagoskin's Imperial Russian Navy (IRN) 1844 name for the village as "Notaglita," population 3(.