Located on the right bank of the Yukon River at its junction with Procupine, River, Yukon Flats.
Founded in 1847 as a Hudson's Bay Company trading post by Alexander H. Murray; originally the post and Indian village were located about a mile or two upstream but moved to their present location around 1864. After the purchase of Alaska, it was determined by Captain C. W. Raymond, U.S. Engineers, that the British trading post was on United States territory and the site was soon taken over by Moses Mercier, trader with the new Alaska Commercial Company. The village population was 107 in 1880; 189 in 1890; 321 in 1910; 319 in 1920; 304 in 1930; 274 in 1939; and 446 in 1950. The Fort Yukon Post Office was established in 1898 (Ricks, 1965, p. 21).