on E bank of Iditarod River, 7 mi. NW of Flat and 52 mi. S of Holikachuck, Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
Iditarod became the supply and commercial center of the Innoko-Iditarod placer district shortly after its founding in June 1910. It was on the summer water route and winter sled trail. It had a population of about 600 or 700 persons in 1911. A post office was maintained here from 1910 to 1929. Its population was 50 in 1920, 8 in 1930, and 1 in 1940. See Iditarod River.