2 mi. W of head of Thomas Bay and 98 mi. E of Sitka, Coast Mts.
Named in 1887 by Lieutenant Commander C. M. Thomas, U.S. Navy (USN), presumably for O. C. Marsh, 1831-99, vertebrate paleontologist. He was professor of paleontology at Yale University, 1866-99. He headed numerous scientific expeditions to the Rocky Mountain Area, and in 1887 he was made honorary curator in vertebrate paleontology at the U.S. National Museum. His best known work delat with the evolution of the horse.