on Peterson Creek, 3.8 mi. SE of Salt Lake and 17 mi. NW of Juneau, Coast Mts.
Named for John G. Peterson, 1861-1916, Juneau businessman and miner who staked a claim on Peterson Creek in 1899. At that time the lake was recorded in mining records as Reservoir Lake, but by 1905 it became known as Peterson Lake (DeArmond, 1957, p. 35).