extends S from Akulukpak River to River Bay, 30 mi. N of Dillingham, Kulbuck-Kuskokwim Mts.
So named in 1910 by U.S. Bureau of Fisheries (USBF) because the lake is a great spawning ground of the red or blueback salmon (Nerka). The Eskimo name of the lake, "Agulukpak," meaning "big aguluk," was obtained in 1898 as "Agouloukpak" from A. Mittendorf, a local trader, by J. E. Spurr and W. S. Post, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). This is probably the same lake called "Pamiek" by Captain M. D. Tebenkov (1852, map 4), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN).