on Alaska Peninsula, in N part of Katmai National Monument, 22 mi. NW of Mount Katmai, Aleutian Range. 18 miles long.
Named in 1921 by R. F. Griggs, National Geographic Society. Both Lakes Coville and Grosvenor were called "Savonoski Lakes" by the National Geographic Society in 1919; in 1923 both lakes were called "Alinak Lake" by the American Geographical Society, after a former native village near Lake Grosvenor's outlet. The Indian name, "Kalhvit," was reported in 1923 by R. H. Sargent, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).