trends NW, SW of Klukwan and 23 mi. SW of Skagway, St. Elias Mts. 6 miles long.
Named for the Chilkat tribe of Tlingit Indians by the U.S. Navy in 1880. The name was published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS) in the 1883 Coast Pilot (p. 198). It was called "Tschilkat S(ee)," of "Tschilkat Lake," by Aurel and Arthur Krause (1883, map).