1mi. E of village of Auke Bay and 12 mi. NW of Juneau, Coast Mts. 0.8 mile wide.
Originally called Aylward Lake by early miners for Edward Aylward who, in 1884, located mining claims in the vicinity. The present name is derived from the name of the Auks, a subdivision of the Tlingit Indians, who lived in this area (Dearmond, 1957,p. 6). The name was published by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) (Knopf, 1912a, pl. 1).