in Whiting Harbor, in Sitka Sound, 1.2 mi. SW of Sitka, Alex. Arch.
Russian name meaning "determination," given in 1809 by the navigator Ivan Vasiliev the first; published by Lieutenant Sarichev (1826, map 19), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN), as "O(strov) Reshitosti." U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), in transliterating the name, erroneously kept the Russian "t" which appears as an English "m."