off N shore of Icy Strait, 2.4 mi. NW of Point Couverden, at mouth of Lynn Canal and 25 mi. SW of Juneau, St. Elias Mts.; 2.2 miles long.
Probably named by Commander R. W. Meade, U.S. Navy (USN), in 1868 and published on the first edition of Hydrographic Chart 225 as "Astley", but on subsequent charts as "Ansley." Board on Geographic Names (BGN) established the latter spelling.