in Alsek River at river bend, 1 mi. W of 1961 terminus of Alsek Glacier, and 60 mi. SE of Yakutat, St. Elias Mts.
So named in 1906 by Blackwelder (1907, p. 428, 430), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), because the hill represented the "jumping-off" place when crossing the glacier. The glacier was once at this hill but has since retreated.