At the mouth of the Kanektok River on the E shore of Kuskokwim Bay, 46 mi. NW of Goodnews, Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
The name of this Eskimo village was reported as "S(elo) Koingak," meaning "Koingak Village," by Lieutenant Sarichev (1826, map 3), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN). Ivan Petroff in the 1880 Census reports it as "Quinehahamute," and in the 1890 Census it is "Quinhaghamiut." The name is shown by W. S. Post, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), on a 1898 fieldsheet as "Quinhagamut." In 1919 G. L. Harrington, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), suggested that the name probably means "new formed river," which refers to the constant changing channel of the stream on which the village is located. The population of the village in 1880 was 83; in 1890, 109; in 1910, 111; in 1920, 193; and in 1930, 230. A post office was established here in 1905 (Ricks, 1965, p. 54). In 1954 the town had a Moravian mission, a store and a government school. Quinhagak was incorporated as a city on February 13, 1975.