On the S shore of Port Chester, W coast of Annette Island, 15 mi. S of Ketchikan, Alex. Arch.
Tsimshian Indian town established in 1887 when Reverend William Duncan, who established a mission of the Church of England at (Old) Metlakatla in British Columbia in 1957, moved here with most of the Indians in his charge due to differences with his superiors over the conduct of his work. The Annette Island location was first called New Metlakatla and "sometimes Port Chester by outsiders." The 1890 census listed a population of 823; 465 in 1900; 602 in 1910; 574 in 1920; 466 in 1930; 674 in 1939; and 817 in 1950. The Metlakahtla post office was established in 1888, discontinued in 1889. It was reestablished as New Metlakahtla in 1892; spelling changed to Metlakahtla in 1895 and again changed in 1904 to its present form (Ricks, 1965, p. 42, 45).