on NE coast of Kodiak Island.
Local name derived from Kodiak Island and first published by the U.S. Post Office Department when the Kodiak post office was established in 1869 (Ricks 1965, p. 35). The post office was discontinued in 1875 and reestablished in 1888. The town was founded in 1792 by Alexander Baranov, Manager of the Shelikov (later the Russian American) Company from 1792 to 1808. He named it "Pavlovsk Gavan" or "Paul's Harbor." Baranov moved Shelikov's settlement at Three Saints Harbor to this location because "the land surrounding it was higher and drier * * * it was surrounded by the timber needed to build boats, buildings and better fortifications * * *." (Ameigh and Chaffin, 1962, p. 45). The 11th Census in 1880 (1893, p. 74) reported, "The most important permanent settlement in the Second district is Kadiak, designated on our charts as St. Paul. The place was selected as a central station and headquarters of the Russian fur-trading companies in the year 1789 on account of its good harbor and close