Located on the right bank of Kobuk River, 28 mi. NW of Selawik, Hogatza High.
Eskimo village, which probably obtained its permanency as a supply center for the Squirrel River placer mines about 1909. Reported by H.M. Eakin, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), in 1910; was established in 1915. Population 115 in 1930; 167 in 1939; and 181 in 1950 (Orth, 1967).