at mouth of Lituya Bay, in Glacier Bay National Monument, 0.3 mi. SE of the La Chaussee Spit, 87 mi. NW of Hoonah, Malaspina Coastal Plain.
Named by W. H. Dall, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USC&GS), in 1874 and published in the 1883 Alaska Coast Pilot (p. 202). It was called "M(ys) Yuzhnoy" meaning "Cape South" by Captain Tebenkov (1852, map 8), Imperial Russian Navy (IRN).