In Glacier Bay National Monument, extends NNW 3.5 mi from Excursion Inlet, 10 mi ENE of Gustavus, 41 mi. NW of Juneau, St. Elias Mts.
Local name reported by National Park Service (NPS) in 1961. The name was derived from the presence of a sawmill, built about 1914, near the head of the bay. The remains of various sawmills and docks were still visible in 1960.